Orig known as ' Hosp of St. Giles'. Located behind the CofE Cathedral. 30bedded institution. 7 poor choristers & 13 paupers fed daily. Good menu. Hospital formally dissolved in 1547 & granted to the city. Staff then included curate, minister, prison visitor, master(residential)
4 nurses, steward,cook, baker & a brewer. Doctors now on site. Schoolmaster now taught 12 poor children. Wards divided into Male & Female on 2 floors. Fruit & veg grown in the grounds. Hospital looted during the 'Ketts Rebellion'. In 1622 only respectable poor were admitted. This continued for some time. It is now a sheltered housing trust. read more