on 9/8 it's hard for me to write this it's been days but I'm so sorry about what happened to your dog. Based on what you've described, I've organized your account into a formal complaint that emphasizes the delay in treatment, your concerns about Dr. Lehman's assessment, the breathing difficulties you reported, the referral to BluePearl, and the expenses you incurred. I've kept the language firm and professional while distinguishing what you witnessed from what may need to be confirmed through veterinary records.
Formal Complaint Regarding Dr. Lehman and the Emergency Treatment of My Dog
Subject: Formal Complaint Concerning Alleged Veterinary Negligence, Delayed Emergency Treatment, and Failure to Properly Assess My Dog's Injuries
I am writing to file a formal complaint regarding the treatment my dog received from Dr. Lehman following a severe deer attack. I am extremely concerned about the lack of urgency, the apparent failure to properly assess my dog's injuries, the delay in providing emergency care, and the subsequent referral to another veterinary hospital without what appeared to be adequate communication or coordination.
At approximately 7:00 a.m., my dog was violently attacked by a deer near my home in the Estates. I immediately rushed her to the veterinary hospital, driving through traffic while covered in blood, dirt, and debris from the surrounding trees. I had no shoes and was in complete distress. My only concern was saving my dog's life.
When I arrived at approximately 7:30 a.m., Dr. Lehman informed me that treatment could cost more than $15,000 because my dog appeared to have a severe neck injury. He made this statement before performing an X-ray or, to my knowledge, conducting a thorough examination.
I immediately told him that I did not care about the money. I wanted him to save my dog and determine the extent of her injuries.
Despite the severity of the attack and my dog's condition, I believe there was an unacceptable delay of more than 30 minutes before she received the emergency attention she desperately needed. I cannot understand why a dog arriving with significant trauma and abnormal breathing would not receive immediate assessment and stabilization.
I specifically informed Dr. Lehman that my dog was breathing abnormally following the attack. When X-rays were eventually performed, I was told there was an abnormality involving her lung. Despite my repeated concerns about her breathing, I do not believe the seriousness of her respiratory condition was adequately addressed.
During her time at the hospital, I was informed that she had been placed on oxygen but that her body temperature had dropped. The veterinary staff subsequently used a Bair Hugger warming device and attempted to restore her normal body temperature.
Dr. Lehman continued to insist that my dog needed to be transferred to BluePearl to see a neurologist because of her neck injury. He indicated that there was no significant injury to her ribs and that she needed specialized neurological care.
However, my concern was not limited to her neck. She had suffered a violent animal attack, had visible injuries, and was experiencing abnormal breathing. I repeatedly communicated these concerns.
We remained at the veterinary hospital from approximately 7:30 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. We were then instructed to travel to BluePearl, approximately one hour and 45 minutes away. Dr. Lehman assured us that he had referred my dog there.
Upon arriving at BluePearl, however, the staff appeared to have no knowledge of the referral or the circumstances surrounding my dog's injuries. We were then informed that it would cost approximately $3,400 to stabilize her, despite the substantial amount I had already paid at the first veterinary hospital.
What concerns me most is that my dog had been experiencing respiratory distress throughout this ordeal. I subsequently learned that her lungs were filling with fluid and blood and that she required additional emergency intervention. I am deeply troubled that the initial veterinary hospital did not identify or adequately address the seriousness of this condition before sending us on such a lengthy journey.
I also question whether the wound to her neck contributed to her respiratory complications and whether a more comprehensive assessment could have identified the problem earlier.
My dog was in a life-threatening emergency. Instead of feeling that every possible measure was being taken to stabilize her, I felt that the discussion repeatedly returned to the cost of treatment and the need to transfer her elsewhere.
I made it abundantly clear from the beginning that money was not my priority. My dog's life was.
I am requesting a thorough investigation into the following concerns:
* Why was there an apparent delay of more than 30 minutes before my dog received emergency treatment?
* Why was I initially quoted more than $15,000 before a thorough examination or diagnostic imaging had been performed? read more