I used Atlanta Roofing Specialist when selling a house thirteen months ago for routine repairs without incident, so when our new house needed work, I called them again. The salesperson spent over an hour at the house and wrote detailed quotes, and we chose them to replace a small section of roof and two skylights.
It took two weeks to get on their schedule, but I was not concerned,as we had a tarp in place. They were to be there on Monday, but they had not told me what time to expect the crew, so at 8:10, I called. Their answering service said that they must be running late but would have them call me. At 8:35 they called back to say that they had not completed a job on Friday, so they would not be there until the following day. I felt strongly that they should have called me with that info on Friday. Tuesday, no crew shows up prior to my departure for work, but at 8:51, they call to say that they do not have enough people to complete the job and my roof will be moved to Friday. Friday at 8am, I leave the house for work with no crew on site. They warned me that they had to purchase supplies prior to reporting to the job, so I was not concerned. At 11:09, I returned to a quite house. I called and waited on hold. A woman comes back to say that the crew did not understand the scope of the work and had already left my house; she fully admits that they should have called me and states that they will be there Monday morning, but they will need me to be there. I explain what I have gone through this week with them, at which point she puts me on hold to talk to the owner, who volunteers to send the crew over to put a tarp back on my roof. I explain that I can do that, and I want them to fix the roof. At this point, she tells me that she wants the owner to speak to me. Kevin opens with explaining that I was "being a pain and she did not want to deal with me." He then asks me what I want him to do and I repeat "fix my roof." Hs response: "it is already too late. The crew would have to get to your house, go out and purchase supplies, and could not complete the job in that time." I then told him that according to his employees, their crews are later to sites because they buy supplies first, thus they should have them, and be ready to start. He then changes his story to agree that they already purchased supplies and that they would not have been to my house until between 10-11am, at which point I remind him that it is only 11:15 and question why they cannot come back and complete it. He then says that he can send them to my home to start but they would not finish. I ask whether that could leave the work at a weatherproof point and he says that he does not know. I ask if they would even appropriately do the work, as they are being called back. Response: "my crews will do whatever I tell them." That was a clear answer and I told him that I would not do business with his company. He replied, "it is a signed contract and we already purchased supplies." I told him that according to his first story that they had not yet purchased supplies, to which he replied that I was putting words in his mouth. We argued this point, and I finally threatened the Better Business Bureau and legal action if he tried to make me use his company, at which point he backed down.
I feel strongly that one cancellation is legitimate and though three is excessive, when handled appropriately, it can be overcome, but to cancel, not communicate, be disrespectful of your customer's time, act like not understanding the scope of the work is their fault, then make up excuses and treat them rudely is intolerable. read more