I woke up early this morning because I missed my 10-year-old so much. I decided to leave this review because I thought it is the right thing to do.
My family's golden doodle has been Dr.Harish's patient since he became part of my family. It is true that Dr. Harish has been offering excellent care for him. However, his recommendation on steroid treatment on 11/18/2022 took his life away on 11/26/2022.
I noticed in October that my boy had sinus issue, discharging mucus from his nose. Dr. Harish performed nasal rhinoscopy on 11/2/2022 along with other tests. Chest X-ray result was "clean lungs". He took biopsy of his nostril. However, that night, chunk of tissue came out from his nostril. I had to take him back the next day and Dr.Harish had to put him under sedation again to remove the tissue. From 11/2/2022, I gave my dog antibiotics.
Biopsy result offered no meaningful information. Mucus issue stayed. I really wanted to cure this for my boy. So, I asked Dr. Harish for an expert recommendation. He proposed steroid treatment. I asked him if I can stop giving him antibiotics once we switched to steroids. His response was "Yes".
I made the switch on 11/19/2022. He was healthy and perfect until 11/24/2022. From 11/25/2022, his condition deteriorated rapidly. He lost his appetite and had hard time breathing in the afternoon. I texted Dr.Harish at 11AM and 2PM about the situation. His response was he can check him on 11/28/2022. After 7PM, I drove to ERs desperate to cure his condition. They were all asking for my decision for expensive tests first. Though it was Thanksgiving holiday, I had to call Dr.Harish. I called numerous times, sent a text message, and left him a voice mail. I needed his input right away because I had no idea back then that the test results 3 weeks ago from Dr.Harish could become irrelevant so quickly. I did not get any response from him.
Finally, at 3AM on 11/26/2022 at the 3rd ER place that I visited with my wife, vet there explained to us very clearly possible root causes of his problem and the required tests. This was what I tried so hard to get from Dr.Harish from 9PM on 11/25/2022 but could not. We signed up for the tests instantly. The test result at 5AM however was devastating. Our boy was diagnosed with septic pneumonia and 2/3 of his lung was already not functioning. There was nothing we could do but to end his suffering. I woke my daughter up at home, drove her to ER, and we bid final farewell to our beloved boy. He passed away shortly before 6AM on 11/26/2022.
The question my wife and I asked ER doctor was how can this all happen in a single day. We just could not understand this. In one day, our beloved boy passed away and my daughter lost her other half. ER doctor told us that there is always a risk of bacteria going in the lung without any resistance during sedation. He may have been healthy after Dr.Harish's procedure because he was on antibiotics. There is a possibility that as soon as he stopped taking antibiotics and switched to steroids, it drastically reduced his immunity and as a result remnant of bacteria started building up from 11/19, multiplying exponentially leading to septic pneumonia.
I understand that vets and doctors are not God, so they cannot predict everything. However, if such risk of steroids is commonly known in the field, Dr.Harish should have taken proper due diligence assessing the risk. He should have explained this to me thoroughly and tested our boy for any bacterial issues before making the recommendation as he knew about the complications that our boy had. Or the least he could have done was saying "No" when I asked him if I can stop giving antibiotics when switching to steroids. I accepted his proposal only because I trusted him wholeheartedly, not having any clue whatsoever that this treatment was going to take his life away after 7 days.
My family has been devastated since 11/26/2022. My wife and I suddenly lost our second child and my daughter is in grave pain losing her other half. She has gone through many tough times in her life and the only thing in this world that enabled her to go through it all was him. They have been siblings, growing up together. Last night, she told me that he actually had 2-3 years left in him. We would always talk about bringing him to her college graduation ceremony. But all that was taken away from both him and her by Dr.Harish not doing his job properly. She asked me knowing this, how can she accept this whole situation, be in peace, and move on. The more I think about the whole situation, the more I agree with my daughter. My decision to accept Dr.Harish's steroid treatment 10 days ago will haunt me for a very long time. He utterly failed us as our vet by not doing a proper risk assessment on steroid treatment. Had he done this, my family would still be enjoying our normal life with our boy. Had he responded to my desperate calls on 11/25/2022, at least we could have ended his suffering little earlier. read more