**I do NOT recommend Atlanta Birthing Center based on my experience.**…read more
I debated whether to write this review, but after everything that happened during my labor and delivery, I feel that other mothers deserve to know about my experience and be able to make an informed decision about where they receive prenatal care and give birth.
I went into labor early in the morning. Around 4 a.m., I called the midwife on call before shift change, who gave me instructions on what to do while I was in the beginning stages of labor. As my contractions became more intense, we called again around 6 a.m. The midwife on call was Jeanine Jones. She told me I still had a long way to go but said I could come in around 10 a.m. to be checked.
When we arrived, I was 2 cm dilated. She gave me advice and sent me back out. Since we lived about an hour away, my husband and I decided to get a hotel nearby so we wouldn't have to travel back and forth.
After several more hours, my husband drove me back to the birthing center to be checked again. I was 4 cm dilated. Jeanine offered me a shot to help me sleep between contractions. We went back to the hotel, and I was able to sleep for a little while.
Once the medication wore off, everything changed. My contractions became extremely intense. My husband and my amazing doula supported me through everything.
While I was laboring on the toilet and then in the shower, my husband and doula noticed that I was experiencing **heavy bleeding and passing large blood clots, some approximately the size of golf balls.** My husband called the midwife and explained what was happening. We were told that the bleeding could be normal and to call again once my contractions became worse.
About an hour later, my husband decided to take me back to the birthing center. Because he was focused on helping me through the contractions, he forgot to call ahead and tell them we were on our way.
When we arrived, I was already **9 cm dilated**. The first thing we were questioned about was why my husband hadn't called to let them know we were coming. At the time, I was the only patient there, which made the focus on that especially upsetting given how much I was struggling.
My husband showed the midwife a picture of the bleeding and clots I had been experiencing. Her response was, **"Oh, that's not normal."**
I was then told to get into the shower while they prepared the birthing tub and that I would be able to get into the tub in about 20-30 minutes and begin pushing. My water had still not broken.
What happened next was extremely difficult.
Instead of 20-30 minutes, I remained in the shower for roughly **two hours**. I could feel my contractions changing from regular contractions into the overwhelming urge to push. My pain became unbearable.
I repeatedly asked my mom what was happening because I didn't understand why no one was coming to check on me. She was told they were at the desk, but when she asked what was happening, no one would give her a clear answer.
I eventually started pushing. Nothing was progressing, and my water still had not broken. Someone eventually came in and checked me using a mirror. When I asked what we were waiting for, I was told they were waiting for the baby's head to "pop out."
I continued pushing for approximately another hour.
Finally, my doula came in and told me that they would only check me if I specifically asked them to. At that point, I was exhausted, in extreme pain, and had already been laboring for approximately **20-22 hours**.
I asked to be checked and was taken to the bed. The midwife told me that I was fully dilated but that **something was blocking my cervix**. She suggested breaking my water to speed up the process.
My husband asked what was blocking my cervix and whether there was any danger or risk to me or the baby. We were told there wasn't.
At this point, I was exhausted and in so much pain that I agreed to have my water broken if it would help move things along.
When my water was broken, the fluid was dark. The midwife initially told me that because it wasn't "too dark," I was fine to continue delivering there. Two other staff members came in and commented that the fluid appeared too dark. The midwife then said she needed to look something up and would return.
About 20-30 minutes later, she came back and told us that, according to protocol, she needed to recommend transferring me to the hospital.
She then told us that I had a **3 cm hematoma blocking my cervix**, that I could potentially bleed out or that the baby could become stuck, and that there was **meconium in the fluid**, which could put the baby at risk of infection.
At that point, I had been in labor for approximately **23 hours**. I was exhausted and terrified. I immediately told her to transfer me because I was not willing to risk my life or my baby's life.
I asked how long the transfer would take and whether there was anything I could receive to help with the pain while we waited. I was